My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Saturday, November 12, 2011

Hallway Framing...the other side

Friday night I started on framing out the ceiling on the bedroom side of the hallway.  It's a bit more complicated in that the AC intake vent is placed on that side.
When the AC was installed I was advised that the logical place to install the return was the furthest point away from sources of heat, namely the kitchen.  That meant the place to intall was in the hallway above the guest bedrooms.  Based upon my original plan to keep the ceilings as high as possible, I had them install it as high as possible on that side.  Turns out, with the later decision to limit hall the ceilings to the standard 8', it was only 4" higher than the new8' mark.  Rather than take it all down and reposition, I decided to leave it where it was and frame in around it.

Overall it was pretty easy to frame in around it.  The challenge came in the figuring out the different angle cuts of the cross pieces so they would come together in some sense of order.
If it were a rectangular space, it probably would have taken me all of an hour to frame it in but give the different angles, it took me all day.  Of course half that time was spent visually analyzing (maybe over analyzing) what and how it needed to be.  The biggest time consumer was figuring the different angles and how to go about cutting them.  Seems some of them were too much for my chop saw so I had to resort to a hand saw and then my reciprocating saw.

I also had to figure out how I was going to enable access to the cupola above.  As mentioned in the last post, one of the factors in keeping the ceiling at 8' was to allow a means of accessing the left side of the cupola.  Where the right side was problematic to but a little easier to resolve.  The easiest means of access was going to be through the ceiling of the closet.
It was fairly easy to remove the cross pieces and reframe the opening to allow access.  That in turn allowed me to enclose the side wall below the intake vent that originally had been thought to being the only source of access.
Like I said, by far the biggest challenge in this area was figuring all the different angles to cut.  In the pic below, there were 4 different angles coming together to form the corner supports.
I got as far as framing in the perimeter frame work.  All that remains now are the cross pieces.  I could have probably finished it in the same day but with the recent time change it started to get dark and I had planned some outside work that I needed at least get started before it got dark (next post).  I figured I could start that and come back to finish the out shortly.

No comments:

Post a Comment