My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Saturday, November 05, 2011

Plumbing work...Complete!

The remaining PEX lines continuing past the water heater installed pretty quick.  

The plumbing setup in this house is pretty simplistic.  From the water heater the PEX lines were routed across the hallway, over the soffit area above the future kitchen counter and down the wall beside the kitchen drain pipe.  From there each line T'd to provide fittings for the kitchen sink and lines into and across the connecting common bathroom wall.

 Once the the lines were run I set about installing the two shower/bath valves with the necessary GatorBITE components. 
Working with GatorBITE fittings proved to be so easy I started to think maybe this was going just a bit TOO easy to be true.  I had visions of witnessing 15 different geyers of water when I got around to turning the water on. 

Never the less, with tongue in cheek, I plowed on.
The end of the line with caps and pipe to spare.
Since I want the shower fittings to be several inches higher than where they are traditionally installed, I purposely left those and the tub spot placement for last.  Once the tub and shower pan are installed, I'll measure and install them at the desired height.

Filling the system....

It's time!  I double checked all the fittings and insured the newly installed cut off valve in the water heater closet was closed.  With bated breath, I went out to the outside shutoff valve and partially opened at a very low flow.....then RAN back inside to be sure I didn't spring a leak at the first connector!
So far so good.  No leak!  I opened the internal shutoff valve installed by the water heater to start the flow into the rest of the system.

Being overly cautious, I purposely kept the water flow slow.  So slow in fact, it took over an hour for the 38gallon water heater to fill up (I said I was being overly cautious!).  To let off airpressure, I opened the shower valve in the bathroom which immediately started gurgling and sputtering. 

After the first hour I was starting to get a little concerned because the toilet tank wasn't filling up but a few minutes later the water heater tank belched out it's last bit of air into the lines and the cold water line gained sufficient pressure to start filling the toilet tank. 

Still, I kept checking the lines.  Dry, and dry, and dry....  WOW!

We officially have water....again!!

It's sure nice to have water in the house again.....and NO LEAKS!! 

Double WOW!

4 comments:

  1. PEX water piping is easy to install, unlike old construction materials like copper or galvanized iron. This one is very different because it’s pretty handy, but it requires proper handling because it will leak when you twist and turn it carelessly. It’s nice to see that you are using new materials for the piping system. That would definitely work in your favor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The plumbing system looks smooth. How has it been after a year? Some parts of our plumbing system at home looks similar to some of these. They've been performing well for three years now with minor damages only. I can tell that it was made with a lot of quality.

    Carmella Vancil

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good job! ^_^ With the right plumbing knowledge and tools, it’s easy to finish any type of plumbing job. But no matter how well you did with the installation, it is still necessary to have a routine maintenance to make sure everything is still in good condition.

    Althea Tumlin

    ReplyDelete
  4. PEX water piping is simple to install, unlike old building and construction products like copper or galvanized iron. This set is really different due to the fact that it's rather helpful, yet it calls for correct handling because it will leak when you twist and turn it thoughtlessly startdrain. It behaves to see that you are making use of brand-new materials for the piping system. That would most definitely operate in your favor.

    ReplyDelete