My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Foam Install: Day Two

Wednesday, Sept 14
Work started early at 7:15am and resumed with spraying the roof deck.  I would have thought they'd start with the highest portion of the roof deck, the cupola, but quite the opposite, they started low and worked their way up.

On Tuesday, with the place sealed up with plastic, the fumes were so strong that even the installer got a little light headed and had to stop for a bit.  Today, with one of the sliders opened and my big fan in the doorway on the other side of the house, the fumes were not nearly as bad.  I could actually go inside for a minute or two.....as long as I held my breath....not easy to do for very long!

While one guy applied the foam, the other guy started the clean up which included scraping all of the exposed surfaces where sheetrock would be installed.  The areas that were hidden away and not to be accessible after the place is sheetrocked did not need to scraped of the over spray.
Part of their responsibility before spraying was to tape off or otherwise protect surfaces that were not intended to be sprayed.  That included plugs, switches, the electrical panel and my table full of tools, etc.  For the most part they did pretty good but I discovered later some things that were missed or weren't protected as well as they should have been.
This was OK, just had to get in there to flip
 some switches
 I found a couple of light switches and plugs that were missed.
Of most concern was the top 6-8" of the fireplace wall.  Apparently the plastic sheeting came down a bit and the sprayer either didn't see it through is mask while focused on spraying or ignored it thinking he could avoid it.  In either case, there some foam residue that's going to have to be wire brushed off.
My new 3-way switch!
All in all, they did a good job.

No comments:

Post a Comment