My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Friday, February 17, 2012

Guest Bath - Tub Surround

I managed to get two of the three guest bath tub surround panels installed this week.  It was slow progress because I wanted to be sure I didn't mess anything up.

First things first....
Shortly after I installed the tub I noticed it had a tendency to squeak when standing in it.  The concrete floor in that area was not what I called the most level or smooth so one of the first things I did to fix that problem was slide a series of shims under the tub to eliminate the squeak.  Once the tub surround installation was complete and the back side, the kitchen wall was drywalled there would be no further access should there be a problem with squeaking down the road so I took the opportunity to pull the shims out one by one, run a generous bead of silicone caulk on both sides and then sliding them snugly back into place under the tub.  I don't think they're going anywhere now!

Tub surround...
With the shims in place, I started working on the the main back wall panel.  I dry fitted that and the rear end panel making sure everything fit properly.
 I had to angle cut 30 degrees a 2x4 to enable a surface to attach the outside edge of the tub surround end panel to the corner where the entry wall meets the tub wall.
30degree angle cut.
The block of wood will go away eventually
Once that was completed I able able to install the back panel with confidence.  Per the instructions, I ran a bead of white silicon caulk along the top of the tub where the wall panel would rest.
View from the backside
 I also ran several beads of glue along the 2x4 studs the panel is to be attached to and followed with a row of screws in predrilled holes along the top of the panel to attach to the studs.
View from the backside
The it was a matter of sitting down to the time consuming task of the whole process; wiping up the excess caulk that oozed out from under the wall on the tub side.
 
Several days later, after the adhesive and caulk was dry, I installed the end side panel following the same process.....
 ...including the task of cleaning up the excess silicon caulk.


 Two panels down, one to go.  The last panel will be the most challenging as it requires drilling sizable holes for the bath controls and if you don't get them right, you've just wasted a chunk of change.

Off to Dallas this weekend.  I'll tackle the last panel when I get back.

No comments:

Post a Comment