My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Sunday, February 05, 2012

Drywall - Master Bedroom

This weekend was pretty productive.

On Friday evening I went by the local big box store and picked up screws and another 15 panels of sheetrock....you know, that word is starting to bug me.....I'm going to start calling it drywall.  It sounds better.

Anyway, there was an eye opener!  Did you know that a 1 lbs box of drywall screws runs $6.00+ per pound while a 25lb bucket runs only $2.00 a lb??  I should have paused long enough the last time I bought a 5lb box to do the math.  DUH!  I went ahead then and pick up the 25lbs bucket.

Saturday
I started my Saturday morning drywalling the remaining uncovered curved wall in the 2nd bedroom.  It proved to be quite easy, especially the upper sheets as they did not have outlet openings to deal with.  With that completed, I moved on the Master Bedroom.



Sunday
UH OH.......

You know how you can see something and not see it??

I had one of those "oh crud" moments today as I was standing in the master bedroom doorway.  I was idly contemplating traffic flow and furniture placement when it suddenly occurred to me that something wasn't right.

To me, a bedroom door should be placed such that the door itself screens the majority of the room providing some semblance of privacy even when it stands partially open.  In the picture above, that would suggest that the door hinges would be on the right side with the door swinging inward and to the left....yet....the light switch is on the right side.....  Which means previously the door hinges were on the left and the door swung open to the right towards the closet and when partially open, allowing a clear view towards the logical place where the bed would be.

The light switch is where it's always been but in the context of the traffic flow and privacy, it really should be on the other side of the door opening. I can see a week day lunch project coming on!!


To the bath....
I still need to do the outer curved walls.  I'll do those and then start on the master bath next time.

If I can keep up the pace, I should be able to get the whole place drywalled by the end of March!  There will be a feat!

No comments:

Post a Comment