My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Demo day 2

In conjunction with the purchase of the house, I also transferred to the local store and worked all weekend and due to some unresolved logistical issues related to settling in I wasn't able to do any work after work.  Except for my iPhone 4, I don't have normal internet access at the moment so my postings are going to be somewhat sporadic for a bit until I get settled in and can figure out how to improve that.  I doubt I can do my postings from my iPhone but hey, nothing ventured, nothing gained!  Anyway, by Monday I was finally able to get a good 3/4 day of demo in in-spite of several interruptions. 

First interruption, I had to drive over to the water department to open a new account.  A couple of hours later the water guy came by to turn the water on but wouldn't because they require a customer shutoff valve between the meter and the house before they can turn service on.  There wasn't one so that means I have to install one.......So, I dug a hole.
I have to cut out that section of pipe to install the shut off valve.  I didn't have my pipe cutting and repair tools with me this trip so I will complete this task on Wednesday.

Second interruption(s), a couple of inbound phone calls lasting over an hour.

My third interruption, the retired neighbor from across the street came over to chat and to see if I might have any kitchen cabinets I was disposing of during the demo.  He and his wife bought the distressed condition house across the street and were rehabbing it on a shoestring budget.  The previous 'owner' apparently stripped out the house when they defaulted on the note and left with everything they could take with them.  After hearing his life story I offered them to him free of charge.  He left and came back with his wife and I heard more of their life story.  In the end they were very grateful for the cabinets and I was glad I could help them out and that the cabinets were going to be put to good use (I hate to throw good stuff like that away).

Lousy pic!

So far the demo has been easy because the walls are cheap paneling which pretty much peels off with a swift kick and a tug.  No mess.  I just drag the panels out to the garage for later disposal.  I'm not looking forward to dropping the ceilings as they're sheetrock which is always messy....and in this case, full of mud dauber nests, rat droppings and who knows what else!  I can hardly wait.....(I've got my mask ready!) 
Speaking of mud dauber nests....this was just a small sampling of what was found attached to the tops of the the kitchen cabinets and behind some of the crown moldings....a harbinger of things to come.  
 I'm a bit worried my future plan to stain and seal the concrete floors will go south.  The exposed floor under the old island has trowel marks in them suggesting there may be similar deficiencies elsewhere that would preclude effective staining.  I may have to move to some other type of floor covering.

3 comments: