My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Flyer or Planner??

Are you one of those persons that has to have everything mapped out to the nth degree before you do anything?  Or do you like to fly by the seat of your pants?  No plans.  Just the joy of discovering what might present itself as the next challenge and what the hell to do about it if it's not what you expected!

I'd drive you crazy.  I like flying by the seat of my pants.  No plans, just GO!

Some might say I lack creativity (I don't believe that for a sec!), some say I lack spontaneity.....hmmmm....might have to think about that one.  I will admit to liking the spontaneity of ME! 

For sure this house is a fly by your seat venture and I've been waiting for it for a long time!  That's not to say I don't have a vision.  I do.  I just like to take it one day at a time and see where it goes...in a controlled fashion.  It's like a big puzzle.  Of course, there's always that one friend that keeps asking "what's next?".  You know who you are and I appreciate it as it does tend to keep me somewhat on track!

Tuesday - 04/26/11
Yesterday was an exceptionally warm (like 80), overcast and humid day.  A perfect day for a storm.  I went to the dump just before noon and about killed myself unloading the second $100 truck and trailer load.  Several days previously, the carpet and padding got rained on it so it was a bit heavy.  Between that and the temp and humidity, it took me 2hours to unload.  I was soaked through by the time I was done and it wasn't even raining.  I hate that feeling!  Someone recently said to a Facebook friend "Move to Arizona".  I'd love to swap the humidity for the dry heat any day.  Either way, I'd get dehydrated.  But I digress.....

I decided not to tax myself for the rest of the day so opted to run some errands.  I decided to do some laundry and since I don't yet have appliances at the house, I stopped at the Hoot & Holler liquor store (how convenient) and Laundromat.  Like I said, a perfect day for a yet another storm.  The L-mat had the Weather Channel on the tube and wouldn't you know it there was a string of ugly purple and red bands with the infamous "hook" head right towards us (again).  I watched inside and out and then stuck my head out the door just as the wind kicked up and the warning sirens started to blare.  I casually walked over to the liquor store on the off chance myself and the others would need to dive into the cooler boxes.

The wind died down again so I ventured outside.  Off in the distance we could see the formation of a funnel cloud, whispy white against an angry black backdrop.  Just as quick as it started to form it's downward spiral, it dissipated and moved on with the news chopper in it's wake.  I was to hear later that a tornado actually did touch down over by Purtis Creek.  I was near there when I was at the dump. The rest of the evening was one LONG and DRAWN OUT rain storm.

My point in sharing this is that minor things (ok, well major things too) can change the course of events.  I had been wondering what aspect of the house project I was going to work on next (hence taking the afternoon off).  The rain answered that for me.  I found a minor leak in the ceiling of the Great Room and the Master Bedroom.  Of course that answered the question about replacing the roof.  Not going to mess trying to find the source.

Also, the carport/garage flooded!  They're both below street level by about a foot so the water has to go somewhere.  I knew that was an issue when I bought the place.  A simple (ha!) french drain across the front will resolve that problem.
So, right there, the course of direction changed.

To resolve the leaks in the house, I need a new roof.  I anticipated this and have decided to install a standing seam metal roof (assuming it's not excessively expensive!).  Preferably almond color to reflect the heat.

Since the new standing seam metal roof has to include the carport, I need to gut and repair the carport roof.  It's sagging on one side (also knew that when I first looked at the place).  I want to incorporate some structured beams sufficient to hold the weight of the carport roof across a 22' span so I can remove the center posts freeing up more undercover space.  It's a vision I have!  ;-)

Before I can fix the carport roof, I have to remove the garage that was tacked on and which sandwiches the four interior support posts for the carport. 

Wednesday - 04/27/11
So, today, I undertake the beginning demolition of the garage and carport!

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment