My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Breaker Box cleanup completed

Time to make a move!!  I figured I stared at the breaker panel long enough and launched into the dreaded rewire.  Actually, it wasn’t that bad.  The biggest stumbling block was the fear of a lightening bolt coming down from the big bad power company striking me down for daring to cut their meter box security tag.  I had visions of the now automated meter sending out a distress signal to home base as soon as I pulled it out.  Unfortunately, the only way to cut power to the house is to remove the meter.  

Nothing ventured......., nothing gained.  Gulp!

I started some of the work the other day by pulling the extended wires from the old box that were leading to the new box.  Not pretty.
 
Once the power was cut I removed all of the breakers leaving them attached to the lines leading to them.  I unscrewed the two 100amp main lines and pulled them out of both boxes and removed them from the wall studs they were screwed to.  
The big panel was moved up and reattached to the studs.
It took about 3 sweltering hours (no fan) total to insure everything was properly back in place.  I still have two wires to the water heater and dryer to attached but I’m still configuring that floor space so not yet ready to do that.  
Not pictured here are the two 6-0 cables for both the AC and the electric range.  Since range is being relocated to the other side of the kitchen, the original cable is no longer going to reach.  For safety reasons, I want to replace the range cable with an uninterrupted cable run (no interim junction box) from the breaker panel to the new plug.  Now that will be a spendy run of wire!  

Glad that’s done and out of the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment