My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, June 13, 2011

Roofing setback resolved...Phew!

The roofing company showed up on Saturday morning and started peeling back the newly installed roof to lay the missing underlayment and screws.  They worked through the weekend finally finishing the whole thing by 8:30pm Sunday evening.

I was supposed to work on Sunday but I was feeling intense pressure to be onsite for the day so requested the day off.  Fortunately my boss was very understanding (and likely due to it being a slow weekend) and authorized the day off....naturally without pay (tack that to the cost of the roof)!

I'm glad I was onsite to see the work as it progressed and to feel confident the roof was installed the way it was intended and that care was exercised to insure the four newly installed skylights as well as other potential leak points were properly flashed and sealed against the often nasty torrential downpours and hail storms the state of Texas serves up from time to time.

By 830pm I was ready for them to be gone!!  It was a long day!

Curved surfaces require creative flashing!

The skylights are flashed, the roof is flashed, I feel good.....bring on the rain!!!

3 comments:

  1. This roof is worth the show off, Bill! Bring it on, rain! Haha. Even the tiniest details of the curves are perfectly done. Even though roofers knew what to do, I think your presence is really important if you hired a roofer to do the repair. That way, you can manage the task well, and you can closely monitor their work.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What?! I just can't believe that they actually forgot to install the underlayment and most especially SCREWS! It’s a good thing they got back to it without asking for any payment. The underlayment is very important because it serves as a protective layer between the shingles and skeleton structure of the roof. It is also the key to reducing the possibility of leaks. Anyway, it's a good thing that you have your roof all set now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I can see that it was a long, tiring day for you, but I can tell that it’s all worth it. There are a few homeowners who prefer a round roof, since the installation is more difficult than that of a common rectangular one. It’s good that you hired responsible contractors who corrected the mistake that they did. :)

    -- Missie Rice

    ReplyDelete