My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Thursday, December 01, 2011

Master Bath Shower

 My house in Dallas has two bathrooms across the hall from each other and neither one connected to the bedrooms so technically there is no master bath, just a large and small bath.  The small bath has a good size walk-in shower stall which I really like and used all the time because of it's size.

The Round House had two back to back baths, both with tubs until I gutted the place.
The master bath area
I decided earlier I wanted only a shower in the master bath.  Since the guest bath would have a new tub replace it's old one, thus ensuring the house had it's one prerequisite tub (for later resale purposes), I removed the old master bath tub entirely and stored both in the carport until I could decide what to do with them.  I contemplated (only briefly) setting them in the treeline along the water channel and letting them serve as raised garden planters.

Unfortunately, no amount of lipstick could hide the fact that they would be bathtubs planted in the treeline serving as raised garden planters.  And, after envisioning staring out my living room windows at two white porcelain bathtubs in the treeline serving as raised garden planters, and more importantly, contemplating what my friends would inevitably say about that, I quickly nix that fanciful idea almost as soon as it popped into my head.  I may be nutz, but I ain't crazy!

Not one to just throw them into a landfill somewhere, thanks to some coworkers, both tubs have been repurposed and are resting comfortably in two different horse pastures serving as much needed water troughs.  A small effort at being green.....

Ideas from Florida 
As it drew closer to the time of working in the master bath area, I struggled with various design perception issues.

It seemed like there just wasn't going to be sufficient room for a good size shower without crowding the existing toilet location.  Because it's a slab house, moving the toilet meant cutting into the floor!  No small task and certainly one that I was fairly reluctant to undertake especially given I'm talking about moving it a mere 4-6" to the right of it's current location.

My trip to Florida solved that problem for me!

As mentioned in my last post, the hotel I stayed recently underwent a renovation.
Trendy glass bowl and fixture.
The bathroom used to have a tub in it but it had been removed and the alcove converted to a shower stall.
Trendy slate like tile
Overall, they did a really nice job.  The one feature that seem lacking and a big oversight was that they used a straight shower rod with curtain rather than the more roomy curved one.  In addition, they placed it too high and too inside the shower space.  While using the shower, I tended to feel bit claustrophobic with elbows constantly touching the curtain and occasionally the curtain would slip over the threshold allowing water to pool on the floor.  A curved rod would have given the user much needed upper body airspace.  

After several days of using the hotel shower and getting comfortable with the idea, I decided I could pretty much do the same thing in the master bath and set about laying out a plan.


First things first....
Have to deal with the drain.  No drain, no nothing!

No comments:

Post a Comment