My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, April 23, 2012

Drywall - Entry Hall

With the outside driveway and drainage control issues resolved, it was time to move back inside and move on with drywalling.  I had been holding off on the hallway work so as not to damage it when moving things in and out via the hallways but I'm far enough along in the overall project that I felt it was OK to start working on it.

Entry Hall
If you'll recall, the original entry hall was a deep dark tunnel with a low  ceiling.  A pretty depressing place. 
To counter that, I removed the low ceiling in favor of the existing roof line thus making it vaulted and added a skylight to brighten the space up.  In addition, to provide even more natural light, I added a framed glass door. As the new drywall went up, the place did indeed start to lighten up.




The skylight really goes a long way in bringing light into the area.  Very nice!
I still have to do the angled drywall above what was a structural 2x4 board on each side that runs the length of the hallway where the old ceiling used to be.  I plan on covering over the 2x4 and using it as a surface to install some kind of up-lighting along the top so the entry hall and interior hallways are indirectly lit by invisible lighting reflecting back down to the interior space. 

More on that later.


No comments:

Post a Comment