My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Friday, April 06, 2012

Lighting - Kitchen

Lighting is one of those things you have to pay attention to as mistakes are hard to correct once the work is done.  I had that experience in my Dallas house.  I installed six 4" halogen sealed can lights above the kitchen counters but later always felt as though I was one or two cans light shy of really liking the end result. 

In the kitchen area, there are essentially three work surface areas, the left wall, the outside wall, and the inside island area.  After much consideration I opted to go with five mini-cans in the ceiling of the alcove or inset to the right of the refrigerator, three hanging pendents above the counter under the window and two hanging pendents, or hanging fixtures with 2-3 pendents each, over the as of yet undefined island area (undefined because that particular layout is still a little fluid at this time).

This last weekend I installed drywall on the left side kitchen wall including the ceiling of the alcove.  I still need to close the chase in above the alcove but first have to run the 2nd speaker wire (ran out of wire the last time), install the mini-cans, and run the necessary wiring. 

I started that process yesterday.

After spending considerable time measuring.....and re-measuring....and re-measuring again.... for the placement of mini halogen can lights I finally made the first cut.
Once the holes were cut and the cans slipped into their place, I set about wiring.  Each light is daisy chained to the next with plenty of wire available to pull down through the hole should the can ever have to be removed.  The final wire runs down to the light switch. 
Testing involved installing all of the brushed nickel bezels and light.
 We have lights!
Each fixture can be swiveled towards or away from the wall cabinets.

Very nice indeed!

No comments:

Post a Comment