My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Carport woes....

I finished working on right outside support beam with mixed results.  As mentioned previously, I sandwiched the existing beam with 2x6" treated lumber the full length and bolted them on.
The beam rests on top of a hefty 6x6" treat support post at the outside edge of the carport.
Once everything was in place, I set about prepping for it's first test.  I slowly lowered the last remaining mid beam support post to disappointing results!

The beam, while it held the weight, sagged a good 3" downward.  I didn't get a picture of that because I didn't want to leave it sagging.  I jacked it back up into place and replaced the temporary support post and then went off to contemplate my failed venture.

What I originally had planned to do was to install what is called a "flitch plate".  It's simply a 1/4" steel plate that runs the entire length (or near the entire length) of the beam.  It's bolted on at staggered upper and lower intervals down the plate.
Flitch plate.
The two inside beams were already outfitted with them.
When bolted down flat, the flitch plates can not bend downward across it's vertical flat width and thus adds a tremendous degree of support across it's length.

Alas, my failing is that I second guessed myself thinking (I shouldn't think too much) that the additional 2x6 lumber on each side of the existing beam would likely be sufficient and thus I bailed on the plan for the flitch plates.  Oh contrare!!  Perhaps the treated lumber was still to wet to make them stiff enough to support the weight of the span without bending but obviously not.  Soooo....I will order the flitch plates tomorrow.

In the meantime, I moved over to the opposite side of the carport to begin working on that beam.  I now have it also sandwiched with new 2x6's pending inclusion of the flitch plate.  I do not yet have the 6x6 support post in place and will do that tomorrow as well. 

The next stage will be work on the two interior beams as well as the removal of that ugly garage door.

No comments:

Post a Comment