My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Sunday, May 15, 2011

The Roof Guy.

Friday - 5/13/11
Since the roof leaks in a couple of places in the house and definitely in the carport area and that the purpose of repairing the carport structure was to prepare for a new roof, this morning I decided to schedule a professional roofing company to come out for a quote and to get their opinion on the carport matter.  To be sure, I called one that deals with carports as well as residential roofs.

While waiting for the salesman's visit, I went back to working on the inside of the house.  When he showed up that afternoon, I showed him around and explained what my aspirations were and requested three quotes;
  • one for a standard everyday composition roof, it being the least expensive option and a good baseline...(also the most blah),
Radial style
  • one for a standing seam metal roof in a radial format.  The standing seams emanate equally from the cupola in a consistent pattern widening towards the lower edge.   This will likely be the more expensive of the two metal options due to the custom nature of the panel forms.
      Hip style
    • and finally, one for a hip style standing seam where each pie shape section of roof panels flow from the center straight down to the lower edge and where the panels butt up against each other at the sides of the pie shape, a cap.  It's 'okay' but it tends to look a little...busy.
    They were also to include work on the carport structure if necessary.  I showed the guy what I had been doing on the carport and talked of my desire to having a free standing 26' span from house to the outer support posts.  Given the lengthy span, I expressed my misgivings as to what could happen eventually if I were to remove the temporary support posts and asked if he had any experience with spans like that.  He indicated he would need to call in an associate more experienced with structural issues.

    I also inquired about seamless rain gutters on a circular rooftop.  Not sure it's doable given most guttering equipment is designed for straight edge roofs.  In any case, I'm not convinced guttering the house and carport at all will be a wise decision from a future maintenance standpoint.

    Large flat surfaces in a tree established neighborhood (as millions have endured) tend to collect debris like you would not believe.  In addition to leaf blowing the yard in the fall, winter, spring AND summer (JEESH!), you have to keep a flat roof clear of debris or it gets heavy.  If left unattended the weight can compromise the overall structure.  Nothing like having your roof collapse on you!  I had to clear my Dallas house carport several times a year just to prevent the gutters from clogging up.  After about 10 years of messing with it, I finally removed the useless gutter entirely.  It helped but I still find I have to get up there with a blower from time to time.  What a PIA!  So, I may just go without.

    Drainage
    A necessary concern with metal roofing is the water management aspect.  If  water comes off the roof in a steady flow with a composition roof slowing the flow a bit, with the smooth sluice like surface of a metal roof it will come flying off the roof fast and furious.  Given my current water runoff concerns, regardless of which roof type I ultimately go with I'm going to have to install bigger diameter french drain to handle the runoff.

    I also contacted the POA (Property Owners Association) president to inquire about improving the street drainage by digging a roadside trench.  It looks like there might have been a runoff ditch but years of neglect have filled it in making it ineffective.  I got some great cost saving suggestions, the main one of which was to contact the local governing municipality and see if they can do the improvements or at least provide the voluntary manpower.  Essentially I pay for the culvert, they provide the manpower.  Apparently it's something they've done in the past.  I will check into that this coming week.

    Anyway, that's pretty much we stand at moment.  I had to leave for work so I don't know if the second roofing was able to make it over.  I'll know more about the financial hit on Monday or Tuesday.

    Let me just say it now in advance....OUCH!


      No comments:

      Post a Comment