My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Friday, July 22, 2011

Exterior lighting

This week I worked on additional electrical stuff.  It's almost done.  Yeah, I know, I keep saying that but it gets truer each day!

I installed a commercial quality timer to control all of the exterior lighting which will consist of four post mounted wall lights for the carport and perimeter lighting mounted to the underside of the eaves to highlight the round nature of the house.

In addition, and not controlled by timer will be two porch lights mounted on each side of the entry door and five or six flush mounted ceiling lights all controlled by the traditional light switch.  The flush mount lights won't be used that much but can be turned on as needed when doing work outside under the carport.

Carport post lights
I want to keep the front area lit but not so much so as to be a nighttime distraction from the house itself or to the neighbors across the street.  I found this Craftsman style light at Lowes.  I like it because it has a round cover with a small cupola keeping in style of the house, round with a cupola.  I'd install a 25w bulb to keep the light level low, to enhance the stained glass inserts, and as mentioned, to keep them from being a lighting nuisance to the neighbors across the street.  The objective is to attract the eye without overpowering it and negating the curb appeal.

Entry Door Lights
I'm going to install two lights on either side of the entry door.  I couldn't find an exact match to the ones above but I did find a nice complimenting Craftsman style.  Given the distance between the two, I don't think anyone's going to comment on the differences.
An Alternative Option
I also found another Craftsman style I really like too.  It comes in two sizes, larger for the entry door, and smaller for the carport posts.  I like them because they are an exact match to each other and because they are in brushed nickel which would match other trim items I plan in installing throughout the house.  Brushed nickel seems to me to be somewhat timeless, or not so "trendy".
Perimeter lighting
I bought a set of low voltage lights the other day that I was going to attach to the underside of the eaves but after experimenting, I found I didn't like the quality of the light they put out.  Too harsh.

A number of years ago on my Dallas house, I installed rope lights hidden in channels.  I really liked their effect.  They bathed the house in a soft non-distinctive downward pattern of light and eliminated the clutzy looking uplight solar sticks that are so prevalent today.  I bought about 10 boxes last year on sale at Lowes anticipating replacing the ones I had but since I'm likely going to sell the Dallas house I may just install them here.  I'll bring them back the next time I'm in Dallas and see how they work out.

If you've got an opinion on any of the options, feel free to share your thoughts!

No comments:

Post a Comment