My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Hole in the wall - 2

Finished framing out the kitchen window today.  Not sure why it took so long!  I removed the studs and then added an upper and lower frame.

It was pretty challenging to deal with curved surfaces.  Even with a couple of nifty tools to get odd angles correct, it still took several hours to get the floor to ceiling 2x4's cut down and properly positioned.  I had to measure and remeasure dozens of times to get even close.  While the stucco on the exterior of the house is very uniform in it's texture, the inside of the walls were very un-uniform so the 2x4's had to be trimmed by 1/4" their full length and then notched in one spot to allow for a pretty significant bulge in the stucco on the inside.  

It took so much contemplation to get the measurements right that while doing that the other side of my brain completely redesigned the kitchen layout.  As a result, the stove and sink will be moved from their original spots.  I'll get it down on the floor plan and post it at some point.

After I managed to get both the upper and lower frames in, I figured it would be better to create a template using cardboard and tape to get the positioning and angles correct on "paper" before taking the jig saw to the one piece curved sill plate.   Fortunately, from within the bowels of the house during demolition, I came across a 2x6 that had been curve cut and was at one point supposed to be a window sill somewhere else (actually I found two).  It came in handy in creating the correct curve of the house.

It came out looking pretty good!
Once the windows are installed, I'll go back and trim the window out (if Lowes doesn't do it for me) and add a trim piece along the front of the sill and underneath to give it some bulk.

No comments:

Post a Comment