My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Insulation and Prep

As mentioned in prior posts....somewhere back there....this house must have been a nightmare to heat and cool throughout the year.  The thin paneled interior walls were open to the "attic" space and the batt insulation had been made useless in many areas by years of animal tracking and nesting.  During demolition in various places throughout the house I found evidence of the previous owners low budget attempts at stopping air infiltration (ie; plastic, foam, caulk, etc).  Having gutted the place, I could see immediately that all of their efforts were wholly useless.

I'm determined to do it the right way to maximize my comfort during my time there so I'm planning insulating the house with closed cell expanding spray foam insulation.  It's a bit on the expensive side but it will pay for itself in the long run by completely sealing every nook, cranny, and crack from the spoils of air and moisture infiltration.  Those two components are the prime culprits in making one feel uncomfortable in either hot or cold weather.

I've had quotes ranging from $9600 (no way!!) to $5300.  The lower end is about what I anticipated.  Standard batt insulation would probably run about $2800 but based on my research, I'd be throwing money down the drain every month all year round if I went that route.  I want comfort and economy in my old age!  Given the architectural style of the roof, closed cell spray foam is the best option.
With tight spaces like that, expanding spray foam
is really the only viable method of getting the
highest insulating "R" per inch.
That said.....
Over the last several months I've been focused on renovation priorities that need to be in place before the wall and ceiling cavities can be foamed in....which pretty much involves anything that touches an insulated space; exterior wall wiring, framing that touches the ceiling, windows, etc.  I'm pretty much done with all of the big stuff and have only to provide a closure backing for the above wall openings to the outside eaves.

Open to the eaves.
Between every set of ceiling joists at the top of the exterior wall there is an opening to the eaves.  Normally the outside edge of the eaves is sealed however, the eaves are temporarily open to the environs pending new exterior trim work that will seal them again.
In various places, due to roof leaks and corresponding wood rot the sealed nature of the eaves became compromised.  Holes formed allowing wildlife to gain access to the interior ceiling of the home.  Wow! A warm and cozy 'house' for every two and four legged creature (even I'd move in if I had the chance!).  Inevitably, over time their activities ruined the whatever insulating value there might have been not to mention the mess they made of everything.

Each of the interior side of the 84 openings will have to be sealed in order to provide a backing for the spray foam that will be sprayed into the cavity at the top of the wall.

Phase 1:  Let the fun begin.....
I started the process of sealing the openings.  It's boring work but it has to be done if the foam is to be installed properly.

First step was to cut 164, 5" long, 1/2" deep blocks of wood using some of the scrap wood piled up outside the house.  I'm sure the neighbors appreciated the 164 ringing zaps of my trusty compound miter saw.  Next was to nail each one to both sides inside of each opening about 2" back.  They will serve as a nailing stud for a flat panel that will serve as the backstop for the foam.

Glad I had my handy air powered brad nailer.  Even so, it took all day to accomplish this.  Next step will be to cut and install the flat panel inserts.

More to come.


No comments:

Post a Comment