My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Back to the Carport

Rain?
It looks like our heat wave has broken if only for a day.  It was overcast and somewhere below 100.  Maybe in the high 90's.  It also sprinkled TWICE today.  Enough to wet the pavement, but not enough to water any of the vegetation.  Earlier this week I decided the Crepe Myrtle tree in the back yard and some other tree I have no clue about really needed some water so I broke out the hose and have been watering each for about 40mins each day.  Perhaps my eyes deceive me but the look better.  Quite a few other trees have dropped their leaves in an effort to survive.

Carport fun
As mentioned in an earlier post, I've completed the insulation prep work.  The spray foam insulation install is scheduled for Weds, Sept 7.  Looking forward to it!

Given that, I decided to reward myself by doing something creative and fun rather than infrastructure related and...., well, HO HUM boring.....  OK, it's all fun, it's just that some stuff is more fun to do than others.  I opted to trim out the carport posts.

To keep things cool, I've put out my mighty Lakewood Industrial Commercial fan my friend Mike gave me a while back stirring up the air.  It's comfortable though still a little sticky.

The fan has been a savior through this summer as it really gets the air moving.  It sure beats those little K-Mart box fans we're so fond of buying (and tossing).

I started last week and and finished one post.  Today, so far, I've completed two and a half more posts.  It sure takes a long time.  Here's a before pic of the posts:
The dangling wire, one on each post, is for the post lights I described in an earlier post.  I think I'm going to go with the Craftsman style light light rather than the brushed nickel one.  Seems to better match the design of the house....or at least the roof anyway.

I started with cutting the old pseudo stucco exterior paneling I saved when I dismantled the one car garage.  Ya never know what you might need so I've saved quite a bit of the reuseable construction debris figuring I might be able to use it somewhere and I was right.  Not to worry though, I haven't crossed the threshold (yet) of being deemed a "hoarder".....though if they (the TV show) will pay to clean up the place afterwards, maybe I should try it.....

Anyway, I covered each post with the paneling and trimmed it out with some left over cedar trim work from the window install.  Here's a near finished result:
Each post will have a matching upper and lower trim.  




The vertical corners are covered in a styrene "L" moulding to cover the panel ends giving each post a finished look.  They're attached with brads and caulk.




No comments:

Post a Comment