My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, August 10, 2011

Windows Install: Natural light

When the house was designed on paper and eventually built, for some reason there was no provision in either of the two bathrooms for a source of natural light.  I found it particularly odd given the Master Bath is on a stretch of outside wall that would have been perfectly suited for a couple of windows.  Maybe it was an option the original homeowners didn't select.  Pretty unforgivable in todays energy conscious environment.  Today it's certainly frowned upon to have to turn on a light every time you have to use the facilities or enter a room.

I like things bright and cheery and have been determined to introduce natural light wherever possible.  It makes sense on a variety of levels, not the least of which is the reduction in overall energy usage.  I opted to install skylights in several key places to eliminate the need to flip a switch; one in the entry hall, one in the guest bath, and two in the great room.  In the Master Bath, rather than a skylight, I opted to go with two windows to allow for light and ventilation.

Since my original deal with Lowes didn't involve cutting out the windows, after the window installers left, I took my trusty Skil Saw with masonary blade and set about opening up two window openings in the stucco.  Messy....but necessary!
Let there be natural light....finally!
  The windows are 14.5"x24.5".  I placed the lower window opening at face height (mine) so I could open it and look out.  For privacy, the lower section will be be frosted leaving the upper section clear to allow maximum light.
Nice view..... once the trailer and scrap pile are gone.
The installers will return tomorrow for round two.....

No comments:

Post a Comment