My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, August 09, 2011

Soffit Repairs

Monday, August 8, 2011 (still)
For years the previous owners ignored various roof leaks to the degree and duration that eventually three different exterior soffit panels rotted through.
Not sure what the foam was for....
That took years of neglect to occur!
The new metal roof fixed the leak issue.  Now it was time to fix the soffits.  Pulling the panels down was the easy part.  All I needed was a crowbar, some muscle, and an umbrella!  The umbrella was to deflect the years of crap that built up in the eave cavity.  OK, I'm kidding about the umbrella.

I used the old panel as a template for the new one drawing a line around the perimeter of the old one and cutting it out.  Pretty simple.
Lovely!
Reinstalling was a bit tricky at first.  When working by yourself (I think I've said this before) you have to get creative in coming up with different ways to replace what otherwise might have been an able bodied assistant.  And to do it in a manner that you survive the task itself.

After three awkwardly failed attempts at raising the panel into it's proper place under the eaves (and having visions of being found days later, my foot sticking out from under the panel.......), I decided to regroup while I was still alive and take the time to analyze how to better accomplish the task.  It didn't take to much effort to think of something with the use of some scrap wood and on the 2nd panel, the ladder.  Eureka, a good combination!  I finally succeeded in getting the panel into it's proper place.  After the first one, the second one was even easier!

Perfect!
Not too bad!


No comments:

Post a Comment