My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, May 21, 2012

Drywall - Central hall ceilings

Sunday
After several delays throughout the day I finally managed to start work on the ceilings in the interior hallway.  Not sure why it took so long, guess I was worried about closing up the ceilings in this area which, for all intents and purposes, eliminates future access to those spaces affected by the closure, namely the chases between the rooms where all the wiring and plumbing resides.  It was inevitable this day would come so it was important that when it did I was confident the infrastructure was fully in place and ready or I was going to be S.O.L.. 

As it turned out, Sunday was the day....which, in and of itself, is a significant milestone.

The hallways
As you enter the house, the hallway splits left and right to enter the Great Room on either side of the fireplace.

The work referenced here involved the left side ceiling as you look at the fireplace.  The right side will be tackled in the next go round.

Low ceilings
As you can see in the picture above, ceilings were only 84" high, or mere 7'.  It felt pretty claustrophobic when entering the house or moving between the rooms so during demolition when I realized how much dead space was above the old ceilings, I opted to reclaim as much height as possible.  Given the choice, I would have gone all the way to the roof deck but unfortunately that would have encroached on necessary duct space so I had to lower my expectations.  The ceiling is now the standard 8'.  The 2' above the new ceiling height houses various cables and the heat/AC duct work.
As in the entry hall, the exposed 2x4 wood surrounding the lower section of the ceiling will be covered with trim and will serve as a ledge for the future hidden up lighting that will bath the entry hall and the two side hallways with soft indirect lighting.

More later!


No comments:

Post a Comment