My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, May 01, 2012

Lighting - Entertainment Center

This weekend I also started on the installation of matching can lights to provide downward lighting over the yet to be installed counter and desk surfaces.  By matching, I'm referencing installing the same can lights installed on the flip side of the Great Room over the future kitchen counters.
The kitchen side
The plan in this area was to have seven lights, three directly over the desk area and four over the entertainment side where eventually a flat panel TV would be installed.  Both sets of lights would be on their own switch.

Measure, measure, measure......!
Installing the lights themselves, just like the kitchen side, proved pretty simplistic with the biggest challenge being measuring, getting the spacing between the can lights to match so that the seven cans were evenly space.

I spent over an hour measuring the space, calculating the combined width of all the cans, the space between the lights, the space at either end, yada, yada, yada!  I started at the desk side, the right side and installed the first three cans in the 48" space allotted for the desk.   I measured, cut the holes and slipped in each can.  So far so good!
Then I started measuring out the left side over the entertainment area for the remaining four cans.  After revalidating measurements and drawing out circles to insure proper spacing, I started cutting holes.....
......and some how I ended up with FIVE evenly spaced holes, not four, but FIVE!
Not sure how I could have zoned out on that adding one more than I intended but, hey, it works!  Better one more than expected than being disappointed in the outcome if four proved insufficient after the fact.

No comments:

Post a Comment