My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Irrigation - A lovely geyser.....sideways

Monday evening, after watering the newly installed sod out front I decided to spend an hour or so mowing the roadside ditches in the neighborhood with the tractor and mower.  It was something I said I would help out the POA on while I still have the tractor. 

When I came home, I just happened to look around the corner (what corner??) of the house and saw a lovely horizontal geyser down at the new pump.  I had forgotten to turn the pump off.  Now, in theory, the pump should have just run spinning the water in the pump chamber but if there is a weakness in the system, the water pressure is going to find it.

It would appear that while I screwed in the supply line connector I apparently didn't screw it in far enough (like halfway) and the pressure caused it to pop out!  Who knew!??  So last night after work I set about correcting the problem.  I fixed the supply line and reprimed the pump only to find that the suction side was sucking air around the threads on the suction side connector.  It would seem I didn't get that screwed in quite far enough too.  Since it all of the connectors had pipes glued in, the two pipes had to be cut and the connectors replaced.  Grrrr......  or should that be Duuuuhhhhhh?? 

That suction side of the process was a bit more of a challenge because it involved several 45degree angle connectors and standing in the channel trying to get the angles, getting the measurements right and cutting it at the right places.....all without losing balance in my rubber boots and taking a dive.  After about 90mins of messing with it and another trip to the big box hardware store, I prevailed and the water flowed again.

JEESH!!

No comments:

Post a Comment