My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, June 11, 2012

Another milestone: I'm a land baron....sorta!

When I first started negotiations on the Round House, it included the two lots to the left of the house.  Unfortunately (or many not) at the time, the deal fell through and the house went into foreclosure eventually ending up on the HUD listings.  Later I was able to pick up the house for a lot less than what I had been negotiating on though it did not include the two lots.

After I started working on the house and demolishing the garage a plan started formulating in my head to convert the now three bay carport into a drive through.  To accomplish that I needed the lots on both sides of the house.  I picked up the right side lot back in December.  I didn't feel the need to move forward with the left side lots because I figured they had no value to anyone other than myself so they wouldn't sell any time in the foreseeable future.  Always a risk but in the end, I was right.

But because I've reached a point in the renovations where I need an outside storage shed to empty house house into pending taping and bedding the drywall, and the anticipated placement of the shed would be on or just on the other side of the property line, it was time to move forward in acquiring the left side lots. 

I enlisted the aid of Margie, my friend and former coworker from the big box hardware store.  One of my neighbors provided me with a contact address for the owners which I provided to Margie.  She made contact and entered into some back and forth negotiations. 

It took a couple of weeks but I'm happy to announce that she was successful in obtaining the lots on my behalf signing the deed transfer documents on Sunday afternoon!!.....And for less that what I had anticipated!!  That's a good thing.
Standing at the far front corner looking towards the house
Standing near the far front corner looking to the rear
Standing near the rear corner looking towards
the house and street
Standing a the rear corner looking towards the house
The lots are grassy and will look excellent with some care and maintenance but they are not perfect.  Last year's drought killed four pretty sizable trees that will need to come down in the next couple of months.  They continually drop pretty major branches which makes the space dangerous any time there is significant wind movements.

Even with that I am pleased (and relieved) to finally own them!!

No comments:

Post a Comment