My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, June 18, 2012

A more social than working weekend!

I'm within about 3-4 sheets of drywall of completing they whole drywall phase.  From there it will be to seek out someone who is proficient and caring in bedding and taping the walls.  I've already had several tips from friends but have not pursued those individuals yet.

In the meantime I'm laying the groundwork for that work to take place by emptying the house out of all the non-essential and non-valuable items (aka: junk).  I want the place to be pretty much empty by the time the work begins so that they can do the work unimpeded.

Since I don't yet have a storage shed, I opted instead to build a temporary holding 'pen' under the carport where it's out of the elements.  On Friday evening I picked up 4 sheets of 4'x8' plywood and some framing materials and set about building an 8'x8' square pen. 

It's nothing fancy and is not intended to be 'secure', rather just to keep things out of sight from the street and out of the way when the interior drywall taping and bedding proceeds.  ALL of the material will be reused when the shed is designed and built.

Once everything is moved into it, I can close in the open end which would just leave the top open which can be tarped over if needed to reduce dust. 

The joys of......maturing......
Early Saturday morning, I tweaked an upper back muscle a bit doing nothing more than just standing there holding the water hose watering a section of grass.  It pretty much necessitated taking it easy for the rest of the weekend.  I could still do some things but I had to do it gingerly.

Social activities
By Saturday afternoon, I had recovered enough to attend an afternoon lakeside deck party which lasted until about 9pm.  Very odd affair.....none of the guests knew each other.  Never been to a party of complete strangers before.  Still, it was a nice evening.

Checking out the lake again....
Sunday I opted to not push my luck regarding my back so didn't do anything that required heavy lifting or rotations.  My neighbor across the channel called me over to go out on the lake so naturally I dropped what I was doing for my second sojourn out on the lake.  We spent about 2 hours cruising the shore lines looking at some pretty impressive mega money pits.  Nice but I'll keep my little four lot 1200sf round house on a shallow channel.  It's my paradise.....well....it will be....maybe....in my lifetime! ;-)  It made me decide to get back to Dallas pretty quick and dig my own boat out of the carport and bring it down here.  Not much sense in having a boat if you aren't using it!

More socializing
On Sunday early afternoon I got a call from another friend about visit some their friends down towards Log Cabin, the south eastern sector of the lake so once again I gratefully dropped what I was doing; sweeping up the carport and populating the storage box, to participate in that.  I enjoyed the social outing!  That lake house was a really nice double-wide on open water.  They even had their own vegetable garden going so it was good to see how they were progressing in that endeavor.  It gave me food for thought in planning out my own eventual garden

Given all of the above activities, there wasn't what I would call real overall progress on the house this weekend but then sometimes you just have to have some down time!

No comments:

Post a Comment