My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Monday, June 04, 2012

A mogul must clean up....


Continued from the previous post.

Because the lot owners were local residing at the other end of the lake, I decided I needed to do a little cleanup in the off chance they might somehow be motivated (ha!) to swing by the lots.  It was unlikely given what I know of them, but there was still a possibility so better safe than sorry.

Recycling...
During the demolition, I kept a lot of re-useable lumber and set aside any metals, including the aluminum garage door that could be recycled either by me or some other entity.   When I finished and started the rebuilding and improvement work, I actually used a fair amount of the junk pile.  With the build-out nearing completion, the pile was dwindling down.  Earlier I had culled through the pile and burned what I knew would not be used.

While I had a vague twinge of guilt it wasn't enough to stop me from making use of the lot. There's an old saying:  It's easier to beg for forgiveness than to ask for permission.  Like I said, it's only temporary.  I kept it tidy and would have left them the woodpile if they booted me off but I really didn't think they'd ever come by.

Last year......
Before the undergrowth started covering it over.
 When the old culvert was dug up, the cost of the work didn't include carting away the old pipe so the guys piled them next to over by the other junk pile.
Before the culverts were added to the mix
I cleaned them out of all the dirt and roots that clogged the pipes and rolled them around behind the wood pile wall out of sight from the street. 
Since they were in three foot sections, I figured I'd make good use of them in some creative way....perhaps planters in a big round circle around the future vegetable garden and adorn them with hanging vines or something of the like.

Stop hassling me!
Margie had been hassling me not taking all that "crap" to the dump earlier.  I told her I would eventually take what I could to a recycler first rather than a landfill.  The primary item I wanted to keep was the old garage door.  I figured I would have it installed in the new storage shed when it was built.

She finally offered to come over and help thinking somehow that would get the job done faster.  It was a mildly warm and humid day.  We walked over to the pile.  Margie had only seen the pile once and hadn't really paid attention to it so we just stared at it, looked and each other and said almost simultaneously said Let's go do something else! and walked away.  I didn't hear anything from her about it after that!

Should have moved it sooner!
Mother nature has a way of giving things a boost.  Last week around midnight another huge branch on one of the dead trees finally gave way and came crashing down.  I didn't hear the break or any jarring crashes, rather I heard the rustle of aluminum and thought of a prowler but as it turned out it was the branches hitting some sheet metal in the junk pile.
I figured if the lot owners came by it would make for a good visual since technically it's their responsibility and liability....so I left it. 
Later, when I started cleaning out and moving the culvert pipes I took a closer look and discovered to my chagrin that the biggest and heaviest end of the limb crashed right down on top of the garage door panels mashing them beyond repair.  Better it fell on them than on me (or anyone else)!
No reason to save anything from the pile now so it all goes to the recycler or dump.

Margie's gonna great real smug when I tell her about that!



No comments:

Post a Comment