My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Drainage Control

Back in January I posted about an existing drainage issue that needed to be addressed.  It's been praying at the back of my mind since I bought the place.  After a heavy downpour a number of weeks ago and a repeat of the flooding, I decided I needed advance the priority and get this issue resolved once and for all and ASAP.  I visited city hall to learn what I could and couldn't do.  The local councilman came out and advised what the city could do.  My part would be to purchase a new culvert while the city would dig out the ditches and install it.

As with all things local government, when I called to request we move forward with the work the councilman outlined, I couldn't get him to return my calls.  It was pretty apparent, they weren't interested in following through with their side of the discussion.  In checking with the neighbors, they agreed I was pretty much on my own.  Par for the the course.

Last week I called out a guy a coworker friend referred me to.  He took a look around and then advised how he would go about changing the grade along the street, in front of the carport, and along side the house, and of course laying in the new culvert which I would pick up from the local big box store.  I contacted the Texas state "Call before you dig" number to have them come out and locate all of the utility lines and such.

The came out this last Monday to paint lines and plant flags.
You can see the useless culvert pipe

A ditch in that direction to the clutch of trees

A ditch on the other side of the drive at
least to the telephone pole out there in the distance.
 Naturally the same night we had a major rain storm that came through and dropped 4-5" of water.....and obliterated some of the markings.   There's still enough left to see where the utilities are.
BUT.....the lake is full again!

No comments:

Post a Comment