My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Tuesday, March 06, 2012

Yard Care - First of the Season

Weekend March 2-4
Back in 2008 I picked up a small (relatively speaking) 1948 Ford 8N tractor with a 6' finishing mower from a guy in Waxahachie, TX., where it was used to mow someone's 3 acre grass back yard field.
 
The year before it stalled way out at the end of the field and wouldn't restart.   The owners weren't educated in the ways of the common man and lacked any ability to figure out the where the problem lay.  In the interim divorce intervened so it sat right where it stalled essentially forgotten until the settlement forced it's sale.  That's when I came along.     

I needed something to help maintain the Waco property which tended to get a little unruly when you turned your back and I didn't feel comfortable constantly asking the the dairy farmer next door to mow for me so I opted to shop around for something that I could handle myself.  Craigslist lead me to it.  I made a low ball offer and the guy jumped on it so fast I wondered how much lower I could have gone.  We managed to get it up on the trailer and I got it home but not without some casualties.  Both rear tires couldn't stand the bouncing around on the trailer and went flat.  In looking at them, I sort figured they wouldn't last very long.

I spent several weeks puttering on it and found the cause of their inability to get it restarted to be a 4" plug of oily grass in the oil bath air filter preventing sufficient air flow.  It could get enough to barely run at an idle but would die the minute you gave it more gas.  So much for regular maintenance!  I also replaced the lift pump cylinder, cleaned out the oil chambers and covered all the other neglected areas.  It started right up on the first crank and has been running like a reliable champ ever since.  The finishing mower makes quick work of anything it's applied to

Several months ago I brought it out to the lake thinking I might be able to put it to use here and also to not let it sit there unsupervised for much longer.  While in Waco, it was always parked between uses in the carport protected from the elements but while here a the lake, for logistical reasons it sat out in the open on the trailer for a period of time and for the first time, wouldn't start when I finally got around to putting her to good use.

Saturday
Earlier I drained the gas thinking it might have gone bad and then pulled the carb to check on it.  When I reinstalled it, the tractor started right up but was running rough.  Still, it was enough to get it off the trailer and under the carport.

Saturday morning I made the 26mi trip to Athens to pickup a rebuild kit (26miles!!?, hey, it's the country folks!).  It was such a nice day I took my time and enjoyed the weather.  Once the carb was cleaned up and rebuilt, the tractor started right up again and was back in it's reliable form.   I mowed the lots on either side of the house and the grassy roadside strip at the far corner.

Overall it did a great job but my earlier concerns about the tractor and mower being just a tad too large for this property proved correct.  It can do the job, but a smaller riding mower would be more suitable.  So once the Waco property sells I will sell the 8N and downsize to a 48"-54" riding mower.
Sunday
With the incredible weather I opted to forgo work on the house (sorry Jens!) and get the first major outside cleanup underway.  I spent the entire day from 10am to past dark around 7:30p blowing leaves, dragging fallen branches, etc.  I'm still not done with the leaves, however, moving forward the amount of time blowing leaves will not be nearly as dramatic.  This time was just catching up on years of neglect.

More later!

No comments:

Post a Comment