My Round House

My Round House
Believe it or not, it's round!

Thursday, March 29, 2012

Septic System

When this lakeside subdivision was created back in the mid to late 60's, there were no local or county sewer lines running to the area so all of the houses were built with traditional septic systems; a tank, maybe two, and a leach field.  In later years, due to new codes, newer homes, and older homes where the system had to be replaced had to install the more sophisticated (and expensive) aerobic system, three tanks, and a sprinkler system.

This house has the old style tank and leach field septic system  As with all systems, it has to be cleaned out periodically, usually every two years depending on usage, and involves contracting out to a septic service to come out with a big truck and vacuum out the primary tank and, if you have one, the second overflow tank.  It's a stinky job but someone has to do it.

Not knowing the history of the house I figured I would eventually have my septic tank pumped out just to start fresh.  Last year, using a borrowed rod specifically for that purpose, I located the first tank and dug down to it.  I anticipated I would have to remove the cover to enable vacuum hose access.  What I found was a small stepping stone like rock covering a hole in the top of the tank.


As with most things, priorities changed and I covered over the hole with some old wall paneling until I could contract with someone to finish the job.  With the upcoming excavation work, it was time to get the job completed and the hole filled in again.  I contacted and septic company and scheduled them to come out April 3rd.

The other day by a fluke via an offhanded conversation with my neighbor I mentioned getting the tank cleaned out.  He told me that HUD had already done it just before I bought the house and that he even came over while the operation was underway to get the guy to come over to his house to clean out his tank.  So, wonders of wonders, I skipped by having to pay someone unnecessarily to clean my tank!

So, now all I have to do is fill the hole....before the excavators come!!

No comments:

Post a Comment